Sõru Harbour history

In the beginning of the 20th century the Tärkama ferrying was eliminated, because a quay was built on Sõru. It could receive only small boats and boats with very small draught. The bigger boats stood at anchor further away from the coast.

During 1927-29 some local peasants volunteered to work and they renovated the quay.
In 1935 some local men renovated the quay again.
In 1941 (October) some landing forces built a new wooden disembarking quay.
In 1949 Sõru formed a collective fishery, the boats and fish processing took place in Müürivahe.
In 1953 the building of a fish-processing department started. In fishing the seining came into practice (“Sõru kalur” had 28 fishing boats and 13 sweep-nets).
In 1955 the fish processing started in the department; fish were caught in mass for a couple of years.

In 1956 the harbour canal was dug, it was funded by:
1) Hiiumaa kalakombinaat
2) USSR Mootorkalapüügijaam (all collective fishery got its orders from there).
3) “Sõru kaluri” Sõru brigade (58 fishermen).

In 1961 Hiiumaa 5 collective fishery groups were united and the new union was called “Hiiu Kalur”. The fishermen brigades stayed in the smaller harbours, but they were administered and organised in the Suursadam.
In 1983 Sõru Harbour had 7 boats all together.
In 1984 Theodor Pruul finished his work as a fisherman and retired.
In 1987 the works for deepening the individual harbour started, in 1988 the work was finished.
During 1996 – 1998 the quays in the harbour were restored.

In 1998 the ferry route was deepened.
In 1999 the canal was also deepened.