Rohuküla Harbour history

Rohuküla Harbour is situated in Ridala rural district, 9 kilometres from Haapsalu.

In 1208 the name Rokel is first mentioned as an ancient landing place. Rohuküla Village, then carried the name of dorpt Rhuesz and it dates back the Middle Ages. The inhabitants in the village were free Swedish peasants. The name is first mentioned in historic documents in 1524.

Limestone and lime were exported. Raikküla lade (a layer of limestone) is situated near Rohuküla and the weatherproof limestone is used in construction works.

The railroad that was built between Tallinn and Haapsalu was lengthened, in the beginning of the 20th century, to Rohuküla Harbour. Before the First World War the tsarist government set up a naval port and a mine fleet in Rohuküla, it was destroyed in October in 1917. The harbour had two basins: the south basin and the north basin.

In 1920/1921 the harbour was restored, the railroad was built to the harbour and the port was put to use to keep the connection with the islands.

After the Second World War the quay burnt down, and till 1995 only the quay in the south basin was used to communicate with Hiiumaa and Vormsi. The port belonged to the Port of Tallinn.

The harbour building is built in 1974/75.

In 1994 the administration of Rohuküla Harbour was assigned to RAS Saarte Liinid, formed by the Estonian Ministry of Transport and Communication.

From Heltermaa Harbour one can take a ferry on Rohuküla – Heltermaa and Rohuküla – Vormsi lines.
The communication by sea is organised by AS Saaremaa Laevakompanii.
In 2000 the whole harbour territory got new asphalt, new lighting system, and the traffic was reorganised.